Joseph Congdon (1807 - 1872) bought this farm in 1856 from Phillip Edgerton Jr. (1807 -
1875) and his wife Mary Ann (Munson) Edgerton (1804 - 1880). It has
been owned by Congdons ever since.
Joseph and his wife Susan S. Spring (1809 - 1895) had two sons, Lester (1828 - 1906) & Edwin (1833 - 1919). The farm passed to Edwin. He and his 1st wife Emma Hart Smith (1838 - 1888) had 8 sons. After Emma passed Edwin married Wealtha A. Hodges (1842 - 1930) in 1890. Joseph & Emma's 8 sons were:
Elmer E. Congdon (1862 - 1950)
Edward Burt Congdon (1964 - 1928
George Washington Congdon (1867 - 1950)
Joseph Congdon (1869 - 1954)
Lyman Smith Congdon (1981 - 1934)
Edwin Congdon Jr. (1874 - 1906)
John Bowman Congdon (1876 - 1952)
Hugh Horace Congdon (1880 - 1958)
The undated cover photo appears to be of some combination of Joseph and his sons, perhaps in the latter 1800's. Below are some notes that accompanied the photo.
More information on the barns can be found in the Congdon Barns entry in this collection where photos and a copy of the State historic survey from the 1970's can be found. More information on the house can be found in the Joseph Congdon House in the Homes collection.