/* eslint-disable */

C.B. Brick Company

No image available

Catalog Information

Title
C.B. Brick Company
Accession Number
2017.031.0041
Type
Mysteries
Gift of
Philip L Mandolare
Collection Title
Clarendon Artifacts
Collection Description
Artifacts found in Clarendon
Source
Phil Mandolare
Format Description
*
Search Engine Type
Place
This brick was found at the Rt 7B South site of the former Charles Button (1739 - 1790) home.  The CB initials on it would seem to indicate it was the Charles Button Brick Company but we haven't seen records of the Button family having manufactured bricks. 

Charles Buttons (1739 - 1790) and his wife Anna Wilcox (1743 - 1777) and their sons Joseph (1760 - 1838) & Charles Frederick (1763 - 1809) are possibly the first settlers in Clarendon, the family arriving in the autumn of 1767. 

If CB does stand for Charles Button, there is still a question of which Charles Button we're talking about. In addition to Charles (1739 - 1790) and his son Charles Frederick (1763 - 1809), the name was used in the 3rd generation too with Charles (1793 - 1867).

A clue may lie in the use of the "Co" to signify Company.  When did businesses of this nature begin using Company in their name?