The cover photo, courtesy of Dave Potter, is not of the cemetery discussed here. It is instead an undated photo of the Chippenhook Cemetery used here simply to represent a cemetery for which no photos exist.
In the 1700's there had been a cemetery behind where the Hodges Inn was subsequently built. This was the SW corner of the intersection of Middle Rd and Walker Mountain Rd. Who was buried there, how many, and whether any burials were moved to the Clarendon Flats Cemetery next to the Town Hall is not known. It had been long forgotten by time a skeleton was unearthed in 1860. What follows is a write-up by Dawn Hance which draws in part from a Rutland Herald article.
Residents of Clarendon Flats were quite surprised to learn that a human skeleton had been unearthed behind the ca. 1806 Hodges Tavern at the corner of Middle Rd and Walker Mt. Rd.
The Nov. 22, 1860 Rutland Herald reported that a human skeleton had been unearthed by workmen who were digging a trench for lead pipe behind the ca. 1806 Hodges Tavern. The skeleton was found about two feet deep where an old woodshed had stood. The bones had been examined by Rev. Grovenor and Dr. V. Spencer who supposed the bones were of a male six feet tall and older that thirty years old.
A follow-up article on Dec. 27, 1860 was written by William S. Weeks. Dr. D. Green of Rutland had inspected the bones. His conclusion was that remains were those of a six foot male over the age of forty who had been buried over 75 years ago. Early resident Deacon Frederick Button added that this area had been used as a burial ground years ago and bones had been dug up there before. Hopefully the skeleton was given a decent burial in the nearby cemetery.
In Clarendon Records Volume 3 Page 35 it was found that Stephen Arnold deeded this property to his son John Arnold in October 1783. Exclusions from the deed were a log meeting house and a decent place to bury the dead measuring 2 rods (33 feet) from the road to Otter Creek. Future deeds do not mention the cemetery as a new one was deeded by Elihu Smith on June 2, 1786 for his good will to the people of the town. It was located north of his orchard and contained 3/4's of an acre. This is the cemetery next to the Town Hall.