/* eslint-disable */

Moseley House

No image available

Catalog Information

Title
Moseley House
Accession Number
2019.004.0101
Type
Home
Gift of
Dawn Hance
Collection Title
Misc Photos and Documents
Collection Description
Misc Photos and Documents
Source
Dawn Hance
Format Description
*
Search Engine Type
Place
This East Tinmouth Rd home was built ca. 1790 by Judge Increase Moseley.  It was torn down ca. 1999/2000 and a new home built on the site.  On the 1869 map this was the H. Tubbs home. 

Judge Moseley (1712 - 1792) came to Clarendon in 1779 from Woodbury, CT following the death of his 1st wife Deborah Tracy (1714 - 1777) with whom he had 9 children.  In Clarendon in 1779 he married the widow Mary (Colvin) Potter (1737 - 1803).  Mary's 1st husband Capt. Oliver Potter (1729 - 1775) had served in Seth Warner's Regiment of the Vermont Militia.  He died outside Quebec City Dec. 31, 1775 where he was part of the invasion of Quebec which was the first major offensive of the newly formed Continental Army.  Mary & Oliver had 9 children.  Following Oliver's death, Mary operated a tavern across the road from this home.  Following Judge Moseley's death, Mary married again to Luther Cotton who survived her.

Judge Moseley was elected to the Superior Court in 1780  and served as Chief Judge of Rutland County 1781 - 1787.

We do not have a photo of this house from when it was still occupied and would be most appreciative if one should surface.  These photos are courtesy of Dawn Hance ca. 1999/2000. 
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available