The chape and bone handle dinner knife shown in the cover photo are of mid to late 1700's origin. They were found at the site in the photo below, which though not readily apparent to the untrained eye is indicative of there having been a structure there long ago. The site itself is much of the mystery. It is at the base of the mountain along Creek Road south of Walker Mountain Road.
When that stretch of Creek Road was built and prior to that point to what extent there was established access along the base of the mountain is not known. The road was not yet there at the time of the 1869 map of Clarendon nor was there a structure there shown on the 1854 map. Whatever was there was gone before then.
There remains a question as to how that area on the west side of the Otter Creek was accessed and for what purpose. Near this site there are two bridge abutments of unknown age and purpose but they are presumed to be of much later origin than the site of these artifacts. Those abutments can be seen in the Bridges collection in the Creek Road Bridge and Congdon Bridge entries