The cover photo is ca. 1894 when the house had just been purchased by John Freeman Keyes (1851 - 1925) and his wife Fannie L. Tubbs (1856 - 1925).
This Gravel Pit Road home was built ca. 1835 and was the home of Julius Alexander Campbell Ewing (1809 - 1886) and his wife Mary Harris Otis (1813 - 1898). Julius owned it jointly with his father Daniel Sullivan Ewing (1787 - 1862). Daniel had previously lived across the road immediately to the northwest (see Taylor House entry in this collection) and beginning in 1836 lived nearby in a home on Walker Mountain Rd that he purchased from Julius in October of that year (see Rev. Isaac Beall House entry in this collection).
In 1864 Julius' son, the newly married Charles Ewing (1842 - 1891) and his wife Susannah Olin Briggs (1845 - 1927), moved into this house. In 1862 Julius had inherited his father's home on Walker Mountain Rd and then lived there until 1882 when Charles and Julius swapped homes. Charles and family moved into the Walker Mountain Rd house and Julius & Mary moved into this Gravel Pit Rd home.
In 1869 Charles attached to the back of the house what had been a pencil mill just down the road so as to make a kitchen and bedroom.
Prior research done by Dawn Hance contributed to this entry.
Below are photos of Daniel, his grandson Charles at age 22 and then in the parlor ca. 1880, followed by undated photos of Susannah and Julius.