The stone blacksmith shop in Chippenhook has not been dated but it is documented to have been in operation as early as 1833. The adjoining house was built ca. 1810 and it is thus possible that the blacksmith shop was in operation much earlier than 1833. The attached document outlines the known blacksmiths that worked there.
The cover photo is from 1917 which is long after blacksmithing had ended there. See the Building & Enterprises collection for more
information on these structures.