These lanterns lit the doorway of the Crossman Tavern owned by Calvin Crossman (1792-1869). They were donated to the town by Anne F. Spencer of Shrewsbury in 1995. The tavern and Calvin's home can be seen on the 1854 map of Clarendon. Calvin was listed as an innkeeper in the 1850 census but then as a farmer in 1860 and on his death record in 1869 when he died of "softening of the brain". Below is the note from Dawn Hance that accompanied the lanterns. See the Crossman Tavern entry in the Buildings and Enterprises collection for photos of the tavern and additional information.