The undated cover photo is of a portion of the Horton mill facilities. It was supported by a dam on the Cold River immediately to the west of Route 7 where it crosses the river. The dam was destroyed in the 1927 flood and any remnants of the dam were likely removed during construction of the highway in 1966/67. A stream on the east side of North Clarendon Village carried water from the mill pond to power mills in the village.
The Horton Mill was owned by Bent Earl Horton (1848 - 1906), Bent being his mother's maiden name. The May 21, 1906 Rutland Daily Herald article below details the extent of structures destroyed by the fire and the efforts to save animals and property. The Horton mill included a sawmill, shingle mill, grist mill, chair stock factory, cheese box factory, and cider mill. Additionally there was an ice house, sugar house, and farm operations. Arson was suspected. Bent's wife and son mentioned in the article were Ella Georgiana (Gould) Horton (1851 - 1915) and Guy Bertram Horton (1875 - 1950). Bent's obituary is at the bottom.