This early 1900's postcard is of the dam on the Cold River in North Clarendon that at the time was owned by the Clarendon Clay and Mining Company. This dam is referenced in two other entries:
In the Documents collection reference can be found in the document attached to "Water Power on the Cold River" entry.
In the Farms and Barns collection reference can be found in the document attached to the "Parker Farm" entry.
Spafford Hollow is in the Northeast corner of Clarendon where the Cold River comes down from Shrewsbury. Water power from the Cold River enabled a variety of commercial operations up through the early 1900's. In the 1869 map that can be found here in the Places collection there are two Turning Shops, a sawmill, and the manufacturing operation owned by Myron E. Marshall (1835 - 1877)
In the 1854 map that can be found here in the Places collection you can see the Hiram Spafford (1825 - 1889) and Eldad Spafford (1799 - 1874) households. Hiram was a cabinetmaker and son of Eldad and his 1st wife Lydia Burgess (1803 - 1843). Eldad was a blacksmith. Spafford households can be seen on the 1869 map as well. Eldad's blacksmith shop went to his son Lyman (1851 - 1900) by his 2nd wife Clarissa Howard (1811 - 1862). Hiram had become an insurance agent somewhere between the 1870 and 1880 censuses.
Myron E. Marshall's chair, chair stock, and lumber manufacturing operation was short lived. He was still working as a farm hand in Chester at the time of the 1860 census but had a manufacturing operation (of currently unknown product) in Spafford Hollow by time of the 1870 census. Upon his death in 1877 his only heir was a 7 week old son Warren M. Marshall (1877 - 1954) making it unlikely his business continued in its then present form. Myron's obituary is attached here. In addition to his 2 year old son by his 1st marriage to Emily Pratt (1840 - 1869) that had died in the train accident, he had lost a 4 month old daughter in 1874 by his 2nd wife Mary Morse (1853 - 1877). A sad life.
In 1907 the Clarendon Clay and Mining Company was formed. This company went through several ownerships until its final demise in 1915. Documentation of the clay operation can be found here.