This undated photograph is of the A.E. Newton Blacksmith shop with the J. Provost Blacksmith sign in the background. The location of the shop was alternatively described as on the Main Road and on the North Road, both in N. Clarendon.
Albert E. Newton (1868 - 1934) was born in Lebanon, NH and resided in Clarendon at the time of his death. He was recorded as being a blacksmith in the 1910 & 1920 censuses. His son Dewey (1894 - 1947) was recorded as a blacksmith working with him in 1920.
Joseph Onesime Provost (1843 - 1912) was born in Canada and came to the US in 1861. He had been living in Clarendon and recorded as a blacksmith in the 1870, 1880, 1900, & 1910 censuses but was then in Rutland at the time of his death two years later. He was buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Rutland.
In 1880 immediately next door and presumably working with Joseph Provost was another blacksmith Alex Estabrook born in NH ca. 1808. Alex had been in Clarendon since at least 1838 when he married the widow Martha Houghton, nee Reed (1799 - 1869). In 1870 he was recorded as a farmer and in 1860 & 1850 as a blacksmith, though where he was working as a blacksmith in those years has not been determined. In 1860 John Murray b.ca. 1835 was living next door and presumably working with Alex Estabrook as a blacksmith.