When this home was built and by who is not known but it may date to the early 1800's based on an 1817 deed reference to a workshop. We do know that Hopkins Horton (1793 - 1890) and his wife Hannah Kelley (Northrup) Horton (1793 - 1874) were living here by 1868 as evidenced by the Oct. 21, 1868 Rutland Daily Herald ad:
PUBLIC AUCTION. Will be sold on the premises of Hopkins Horton, in South Clarendon, at Public Auction, on Thursday, Oct. 22d, at one o'clock p.m., one wagon and sleigh, with harness both double and single, blacksmith, carpenter,and farming tools of all sorts, together with other things too numerous to describe. PERRY SMITH, Actioneer.
The 1869 map also shows Hopkins living on this site. Hopkins & Hannah were amongst the wealthiest people in Clarendon at the time. The 1870 census indicates they had real estate worth $3,500 and a personal estate of $21,000. They had 9 children that lived to adulthood. After Hopkin's death in 1890 the home remained in the family though the ownership has not been established.
In 1906 a great granddaughter of Hopkins & Hannah, Cornelia (Emery) Lawrence (1860 - 1939) bought the property. Cornelia was a granddaughter of Timothy K. Horton. The home would now be used primarily as a summer residence though it appears the Lawrences did live here at times, being resident at the time of the 1910 census for example.
Per the Jan. 12, 1906 Rutland Daily Herald:
Mrs. Cornelia Lawrence of New York has purchased the place once known as the Hopkins Horton home.
It is from this point forward that the home was known as Locust Lodge. It was referred to that way multiple times in Rutland
Herald news clips about Cornelia's comings and goings from Clarendon.
That the home is still surrounded by ancient locust trees likely is
where the name came from. Her Aunt Cornelia (Horton) Bailey that she was very
close to lived on Locust St. in Everett, MA which may be part of the
story as well.
In the years that followed Cornelia did some updating and maintenance. Per the Oct. 18, 1906 Rutland Daily Herald:
Erwin Smith is painting the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Lawrence.
Per the March 25, 1910 Rutland Daily Herald:
Mrs. George Lawrence has engaged a paper hanger and decorator from Rutland to repaper her rooms.
She owned the home at least until 1928 as evidenced by a July 11, 1928 Rutland Daily Herald article:
Mrs. Cornelia Lawrence has arrived from New York and will occupy her home here for a time.
An article just prior (June 29, 1928) indicated the home had been offered for sale. The April 5, 1929, Rutland Daily Herald article which contained the following descriptive did not indicate that the home had been sold already to Mrs. Edith Whitcomb:
The original house on the Lawrence place, built in the days of hand hewn timbers, was added to by Mr. and Mrs. George W. Lawrence of Jersey City, NJ.
Cornelia Lawrence's mother was Mariette (Horton) Emery, daughter of Timothy K. Horton and Susan Tacy (Potter) Horton. See the Timothy K. Horton, Builder entry in the People collection for more information on Cornelia's grandfather Timothy, the Andrew Jackson Emery Jr. Murdered entry in the Events collection to learn about her brother's death, and the Cornelia (Horton) Bailey, Benefactress entry in the people collection to learn about her Aunt who she was named after. See slso the Horton & Meloon Cellar Hole entry in the Cellar Hole collection for information about his original 1814 Hopkins Horton homesite in Clarendon on what became Horton Rd.
This parcel has a small structure in the back corner of the property. See the T.K. Horton House entry in this collection for speculation on this structure. See also the W.P. Horton House entry in this collection for related information about this seeming compound of Horton family homes clustered together.
The final chapter on this home before it faded from the public eye was a planned 1929 conversion of the home into the Clarendon Health Center, a 15 inpatient sanitarium. See the A Doctor Comes To Town, Or Not entry in the Events collection for that story.
The cover photo is from 2007 town records and the photos below from 2018 town records.