/* eslint-disable */

W.F.Barnes Marble Quarry

No image available
Link to Document

Catalog Information

Title
W.F.Barnes Marble Quarry
Accession Number
2018.009.0070
Type
Historic Building
Gift of
Philip L Mandolare
Collection Title
Misc Photos
Collection Description
Misc Photos
Source
Phil Mandolare
Format Description
application/pdf
Search Engine Type
Place
The W.F.Barnes Marble Quarry was located to the west of West Tinmouth Rd.  It was in operation prior to 1869 (as evidenced by it being found on the 1869 map) and according to the 1976 Clarendon history book it was in operation into the late 1880's.

W.F. was William Franklin Barnes (1806 - 1871) who died May 7, 1871 as a result of falling stone.  He was married to Daphne Proctor (1811-1881).  They had 6 children.  W.F. had various marble interests in the area and was a very wealthy entrepreneur.  The Aug. 22, 2008 Rutland Herald had an excellent article "Princes of Marble" that provide a lot of background on W.F.Barnes.

A few days after his death, the May 11, 1871 Rutland Herald had an article found at the link above that spoke well of his character.  In a May 18, 1871 "In Memoriam" article we learn that when W.F.'s parents moved west that he stayed behind.  Further research indicates that his 5 siblings all went with his parents sometime in the 1820's to Bennington, Licking County, OH.  Only W.F. stayed in Rutland.

These photos are courtesy of Phil Mandolare in 2020.
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available