/* eslint-disable */

Sherman House

No image available
Link to Web Page

Catalog Information

Title
Sherman House
Accession Number
2018.009.0028
Type
Home
Gift of
Philip L Mandolare
Collection Title
Misc Photos
Collection Description
Misc Photos
Source
Phil Mandolare
Format Description
text/html
Search Engine Type
Place
Drawing upon research done by Dawn Hance, this ca. 1800 Quarterline Rd home was likely originally built by one of the Westcotts.  That family owned this property for several generations before it passed to Samuel Curtis (1802 - 1852).  Curtis sold what was then a 300 acre property to Edmund D. Sherman of Danby in 1850.  Sherman bought an additional 72 acres for $1,700 in 1860. 

Edmund Sherman (1814 - 1897) and his wife Sally (Phillips) Sherman (1815 - 1873) had 11 children and as evidenced by the 1860 and 1870 censuses, were one of the wealthiest families in Clarendon.  Of the 5 sons, 4 were old enough to serve in the Civil War, 3 of which served.  Their oldest son Lt. Merritt Hoag Sherman (1842 - 1864) died in the battle of Weldon Railroad in Virginia June 1864.  A history of that battle can be seen at the link above.  Tragedy again struck in Sept. 1864 when son Rev. Edwin Miles Sherman (1847 - 1876) was wounded in the battle of Opequon outside Winchester, VA and lost a limb.  He died of diptheria in 1876.  Another son Myron B. Sherman (1844 - 1865) died of disease at Burkeville, Virginia in April 1865. 

These photos are courtesy of Phil Mandolare in 2020.  The last photo shows the foundation of a barn that had been part of the farm.  It is across the road from the house.

No image available
No image available
No image available