/* eslint-disable */

Green Mountain House

No image available

Catalog Information

Title
Green Mountain House
Accession Number
2017.013.0005
Type
Historic Building
Origin
1976 Clarendon History Book
Collection Title
History of Clarendon Published 1976
Collection Description
History of Clarendon
Format Description
*
Search Engine Type
Place
The cover photo is from the 1976 Clarendon History book.  It was on the site where the Cook House on Walker Mountain Road (see Homes collection) is now found.  Who the early owners were is not known but a June 13, 1844 ad in the Rutland County Herald and the June 12, 1845 ad in he Vermont Union Whig indicated Rufus A. Kilburn (1809 - 1881) as the proprietor. 

The caption under the cover photo is incorrect.  This hotel did not burn in 1866 but rather it fell down per the Feb. 5, 1866 Rutland Daily Herald article below. 

Perhaps they burned the wreckage so as to quickly clear the site being in the Oct. 16, 1866 Rutland Daily Herald the proprietor James Flowers (1813 - 1903) was advertising the rebuilt structure for sale.  It was noted as being 44' x 28' with a 24' x 18' ell (1664 sq. ft per floor).  The 1869 map for Clarendon Springs shows a structure with an ell in this location and under his name so it doesn't appear he sold it quickly.

The July 24, 1871 Rutland Daily Herald notes that John Flagg (1799 - 1886) who lived next door to the hotel (see the Flagg House entry in the Homes collection) bought it and retained James Flowers and his wife Olive (Pearson) Flowers ( 1818 - 1899) to run the hotel.  In the March 11, 1873 Rutland Daily Herald this property was listed as being auctioned off to the highest bidder without reserve.  That auction advertisement indicated it contained 35 rooms.  It was bought by Adin F. Styles (1832 - 1910) of Vermont and Florida.  In the 7-19-1875 Rutland Daily Globe there is an advertisement for the hotel by A.N. Lyon.  Whether he was a new manager or he bought the hotel is not known.  The hotel was in operation at least until 1877.  When it ceased operations and what became of the building is not known.  The Cook House that occupies this parcel was built ca. 1890. 

No image available