/* eslint-disable */

Colvin Mill

No image available

Catalog Information

Title
Colvin Mill
Accession Number
2017.031.0079
Type
Historic Building
Gift of
Philip L Mandolare
Collection Title
Clarendon Artifacts
Collection Description
Artifacts found in Clarendon
Source
Phil Mandolare
Format Description
*
Search Engine Type
Place
The Colvin Mill was powered by water from the Clarendon River impounded by the Colvin Dam (see entry in this collection).  Water flowed down an approximate 712' chase from the dam to the mill.  When the mill was built and when it ceased operations is not known. 

In the 1976 Clarendon history book there is a passage as follows which likely is referring to this site:

Ben Colvin, a descendant of Daniel, operated an up-and-down type sawmill on the river about two miles south of the Hook.  Remnants of his ditching and dam may still be seen.  The exact dates of his operation are unknown, but it was sometime in the mid-1800's.  Colvin also constructed a large slide to remove logs off of the steep upper slope of Suzie's peak

The mill site is approximately 40' x 100'.  Whether that entire area had a building on top of it or if part was simply the holding reservoir at the end of the chase is not known.  In the 1st photo below you can see the outlet for water exiting the reservoir.  The bottom photo shows a part of the chase that brought water from the dam. 

The photos are courtesy of Phil Mandolare in 2020. 
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available
No image available