Caleb Hall (1779 - 1857) came to Clarendon from NH at age 14 per his obituary, putting his arrival at ca. 1793.
Amongst his business interests was the Hall Tavern (see the Hall Tavern entry in the Buildings and Enterprises collection) and his store in Clarendon Flats. The store was located where the Town Hall is now and the tavern just south of there where a barn can be found today (see the Powers Cheese Factory entry in the Buildings and Enterprises collection).
The letter shown in the cover photo is from Oct. 5, 1846, of which a transcription can be seen at the link above. Envelopes weren't in common usage yet in 1846 and letters were instead folded in a manner so as to create an envelope out of the letter itself. This particular letter/envelope is a single sheet of paper 10" x 15 5/8". The top of the letter is embossed with its manufacturer, Claremont Manufacturing Company. They were a paper manufacturer in Claremont, NH that had begun operations in 1833/34.
The nature of the letter deals with monetary matters associated with the tavern and is in response to a prior communication. G.W. Harman, Esq. is a lawyer, George Washington Harman (1812 - 1898) who at the time of this letter being written was living in Pawlet, VT. The front of the "envelope" below indicates Caleb didn't know that Harman had relocated from Rutland to Pawlet, though fortunately he made provision for it to be forwarded. The L.B.P. referenced in the letter is Lucien Bonaparte Parker (1820 - 1892) of Clarendon. It is not clear which Loomis, Tuttle, and Lothrop are being referred to in the letter.
It is also possible that Caleb's son Caleb B. Hall (1814 - 1870) was the author of the letter. Caleb Jr. appears to have taken over the running of the tavern by 1844. A key differentiator between the two Calebs is that the father typically was recorded as Caleb Ball whereas the son was usually Caleb B. Hall or C.B. Hall. That this letter was signed Caleb B. Hall suggests it was the son who wrote it.