/* eslint-disable */

Noel Potter Ridlon Site

No image available

Catalog Information

Title
Noel Potter Ridlon Site
Accession Number
2017.031.0061
Type
Cellar Holes
Gift of
Philip L Mandolare
Collection Title
Clarendon Artifacts
Collection Description
Artifacts found in Clarendon
Source
Phil Mandolare
Format Description
*
Search Engine Type
Place
This West Tinmouth Road site can be found on the 1854 map but not the 1869.  Presumably the home was gone by then, or perhaps unoccupied.  Noel Potter Ridlon (1813 - 1866), his wife Nancy Bromley Hulett (1823 - 1888) and son John Frederick Ridlon (1852 - 1936) lived there at the time of the 1854 map compilation.  Artifacts found there offers some indication that the site may have been occupied before this household.  There were a number of rodent holes in a small area possibly indicating they may have made homes in cavities of a buried foundation.  This was not found anywhere else on this site. 

The site is currently part of a farm field and dimensions of the home cannot be estimated given the foundation has long been destroyed.  In addition to the house site there is also indication of a possible barn on this site. 

Noel Ridlon died as a result of being hit by a train when crossing tracks in a wagon pulled by two horses.  See the Noel P. Ridlon Train Accident entry in the Events collection for the full account.  Noel was buried in the Chippenhook Cemetery.  Records indicate his wife was buried with him despite her having remarried to A. Sidney Vail (1812 - 1910) in 1869 shortly after his 1st wife died.  She was living in Momence, Illinois at the time of her death and it is presumed her son John brought her back to Clarendon.  Sidney married for the 3rd time 6 months later.  

Note that per deed research done by Dawn Hance, sometime after 1854 and before 1869 Noel and family built a home further north on West Tinmouth Rd noted as the W.F. Barnes property on the1869 map and it was this other home where he was living at the time of his death.  Nancy Ridlon sold the property to John E. Barnes in 1868.  The house is no longer there, it having burned. 

Photos are from 2019 courtesy of Phil Mandolare.  The artifacts shown are part of a belt buckle that was popular in the 1720 - 1790 era and an ox shoe.  See also the Ridlon Site Artifacts entry in the Artifacts collection for more items found at this site. 

No image available[Z;a]
No image available
No image available