In 1850 Sarah Holden and her daughter Mary W. Holden bought 46
acres from Stephen Thayer for $1,200. We don't know whether there was a
house already there but by the time of the compilation of the 1854 map
there was (S. Holden). They acquired additional acreage from Hiram
Spafford in 1853 and from the estate of Wolcott Curtis in 1855.
1859 Benjamin Franklin Mussey (1836- 1885) of Rutland married Sarah
Holden's niece Harriet E. Holden (1841 - 1926). Benjamin and Harriet
were living in Rutland still at the time of the 1860 census with
Benjamin working as a teamster. He was still in Rutland in 1863 when he
registered for the draft for the Civil War.
1867 he bought the then 90 acre property from Sarah Holden. In 1870
he, Harriet, and children were living there with Benjamin listed as a
farmer. They divorced in 1877; Harriet claiming intolerable severity. In 1880 Harriet was living in
the home with her children and her father James Sullivan Holden. Where Benjamin was in 1880 is not known. He was buried in Brandon.
This home was "L" shaped and approximately 920 sq. ft. with a cellar beneath it (and a walkout on the north side) and with approximately another 368 sq. ft attached on the northeast corner where the "L" was w/o a cellar. Whether that additional space was living space or an attached outbuilding is not known as is whether there was a second level to any portion of the house.
A well was approximately 54' east of the southeast corner of the home.
A three sided dugout barn was approximately 122' from the northeast corner of the house. The land slopes downward where the barn was built, the low end (east side) being at ground level.
These photos are from 2019 courtesy of Phil Mandolare. The bottom two photos are of the barn site.