/* eslint-disable */

Samuel Noble Site

No image available

Catalog Information

Title
Samuel Noble Site
Accession Number
2017.031.0049
Type
Cellar Holes
Gift of
Philip L Mandolare
Collection Title
Clarendon Artifacts
Collection Description
Artifacts found in Clarendon
Source
Phil Mandolare
Format Description
*
Search Engine Type
Place
This site is immediately north of the Tinmouth town line on West Tinmouth Rd.  Samuel Noble (1784 - 1873) and his wife Mary Ballard (1791 - 1873) were recorded as being in Tinmouth censuses rather than Clarendon.  Given the location so close to the town line it may not have always been clear where the precise boundaries were and given the Noble family owned substantial property in Tinmouth just below the Clarendon town line, it could be as simple as the Clarendon portion of the Noble family property was considered part of Tinmouth in an age where things were far less precise than they are now.  It is also possible this particular site in Clarendon was something Samuel owned rather than where he lived.  We have seen this elsewhere where the same person's name appears 2 or more times on the 1854 and 1869 maps. 

We do not know when a structure was built here but it was likely lost sometime after the 1854 map was compiled and the 1869 map was compiled given it does not appear on the 1869 map.  There is some indication that the home may have burned.  Based on a 1962 aerial photo that still showed an anomaly at this site we estimate that the structure was approximately 30' x 30' or about 900 sq. ft. 

Samuel and Mary's son was Absalom Noble who owned property across the road (see the Absalom Noble Cellar Hole entry in this collection).  See also the West Tinmouth Road Artifacts entry in the Artifacts collection to see some of the artifacts found at this site. 

The cover photo is looking south, below is looking north and then looking west.  These photos are from 2019 courtesy of Phil Mandolare.

No image available
No image available
No image available