/* eslint-disable */

North Clarendon Grocery - Original Location

No image available

Catalog Information

Title
North Clarendon Grocery - Original Location
Accession Number
2019.008.0018
Type
Historic Building
Gift of
Dawn Hance
Collection Title
Misc Photos and Documents
Collection Description
Misc Photos and Documents
Source
Dawn Hance
Format Description
*
Search Engine Type
Place
The core of the building that had been the North Clarendon Grocery (see entry below in this collection) was moved from its original location before it became a store.  Prior to being at the corner of Rt 7B North and North Shrewsbury Rd it had been located a few hundred feet further east on North Shrewsbury Rd approximately where Rt 7 South is now.  Sometime after its relocation it was  expanded on the north and east sides. 

In this photo the Gee-Sampson House (see Homes collection) can be seen on the left and the Mason House (see Homes collection) in the middle.  The former store is the structure on the right. 

We do not know when the original structure was built or precisely when it was moved but we know it was after 1910.  This is evidenced by the 1910 photo below which has an empty field still at the corner of North Shrewsbury Rd and Rt 7B North where the store was moved to.  The people whose grocery this originally was were Wallace Plumley (1883 - 1961) and his wife Louisa Cooper (Beem) (1876 - 1954).  Wallace was appointed Post Master in North Clarendon in 1915 and was still with the post office at the time of his 1917 WWI draft registration but was recorded at the time of the 1920 census as being a grocer, so presumably this structure was moved and the store begun in the late teens.  In 1930 Louisa was recorded as being a grocer whereas Wallace was working as a telegraph operator for the railroad.  In 1940 she was no longer working and Wallace was a station agent for the railroad.  The 1942 WWII draft registration has him still with the railroad, working in Danby but still living in Clarendon. 

The North Clarendon Grocery was still in operation in 1967 as evidenced by the photos in the entry below in this collection. 

No image available