/* eslint-disable */

Chair Factory, Blacksmith Shop, Post Office

No image available

Catalog Information

Title
Chair Factory, Blacksmith Shop, Post Office
Accession Number
2019.008.0012
Type
Historic Building
Gift of
Dawn Hance
Collection Title
Misc Photos and Documents
Collection Description
Misc Photos and Documents
Source
Dawn Hance
Format Description
*
Search Engine Type
Place
Starting from the left this ca. 1910 photo shows the former chair factory building, blacksmith shop, and post office in North Clarendon Village.  Only the former post office structure still exists.  The chair factory and blacksmith shop can be seen in the 1869 map of North Clarendon Village.  The blacksmith shop and post office can be seen in the North Clarendon Village 1919 survey found in the Places collection, though the post office structure is not labeled. 

The blacksmith shop structure was in existence prior to 1834 when it was sold by Moses Strong (1772 - 1842) to Ruel Parker (1792 - 1872) for $60. 

The chair factory structure was in existence prior to 1825 when Moses Strong (1772 - 1842) leased what was a trip hammer shop to Joseph Gaskill (1795 - 1863) for $6 per year.  A trip hammer, also known as a tilt hammer or helve hammer, is a massive powered hammer used in: agriculture to facilitate the labor of pounding, decorticating and polishing of grain; mining, where ore from deep veins was crushed into small piece.